Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blue Sky OR NOT cx

I've had some cold races before, from the snowstorm ruined Hardesty Park race to Boughton farms in 2009. Today's race slots right into 3rd coldest. I arrived at the start and it had already been raining. With temperatures reaching a high of 50 and having the course situated on the lake, I knew it was going to be a cold day. Part of me wanting to turn around and go home, but I knew I had made the hour drive and I'm not a baby so I got ready. Angie was awesome and brought a canopy out to the race, and thank Thor the god of thunder that she did. This became the hangout out place for the team and our sanctuary. I brought the pump sprayer to clean our bikes.

So to the start, after last weeks explosion, I decided to make a more metered start. So off the line I lined up in about fifth wheel and started riding my race from the start. The hope was to ride within my means, pit twice for clean bikes and pick off as many positions as I could. And that's what happened. Truthfully, it was a pretty uneventful race for me. I rode smart stayed rubber side down and picked up the positions I could. I was lucky to have my teammate Angie in the pits after her race came undone to clean my bike and with the help of Micheal Adams do a perfect bike handoff. The one fun thing was reverse heckling with Russell Lee. It was fun to hear him crack up after each of my retorts. Here's a few of them:

Russel- What kind of line is that? (as I took a corner)
Me- It was a decent line!

Russel- Why are you so clean? 
Me- Cause I ride so clean!

The race ended with me in 6th place with no one in sight behind or in front of me, so I was able to semi cruise into the finish. Angie again to help me out and grab my stuff from the pits. She was a huge help and can't thank her enough. The finish puts me at 2nd overall in the series. Overall, I'm really happy and need a nap. So that's what I'm going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment